Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Epicuro, Damansara Uptown review

Just at the end of 2013, a new restaurant joined the busy busy neighbourhood of the infamous Damansara Uptown (and no, it's not A Pie Thing) and within the next few months, garnered the attention of food bloggers and pork lovers around. Why? Because the pork, pastas and desserts there are delicious!


Enter a cosy atmosphere of black and yellow with natural lighting and a cute chalk drawing on one whole wall.  Much like its name sake, Epicuro invites its customers to relish the indulgence of dining on good food without breaking the bank. Because given its food quality and portions, I would say Epicuro's prices are rather affordable.





Their Conchiglie in Spinach Cream (RM 19.90) was something you don't get in every Italian restaurant. The sauce was made of spinach to form a spinach cream sauce that went well with bacon strips which was a lot by the way. Conchiglie is the lesser-known shell shaped pasta but its hollowed out shape made for a nice way to scoop up the sauce. There was even toasted pine nuts thrown in for an added crunch. I enjoyed it immensely and even lapped the plate clean.



My sister ordered the linguine with pesto (RM19.90) and according to her, it was yummy with ample garlic and pesto mix with the pasta and sweet tomato to go with a generous amount of bacon. Unlike the Conchiglie in Spinach Cream, this dish was lighter on the stomach and won't leave you feeling queasy from the creaminess.


As a lover of lamb shrank (RM39.90), my dad forgo'ed his usual pork options and ordered that instead and it was a well-made decision for the leg of lamb was succulent, meaty and juicy with the stew giving it a lovely finish.


Unexpectedly, my mom had pork chops (RM28.90) I say this was unexpected of her as she was usually a salad person but after reviewing the menu, even she could not resist something porky. Tender and moist, the meat soaked the mushroom sauce well and with a healthy amount of greens tossed with pine nuts and mashed potatos, this was indeed a meal for the soul. 


Still with room for dessert, we ordered one of everything they had; Affogato (RM12), Tiramisu (with alcohol) (RM13.90) and  Brownies with homemade dulce de leche ice-cream (RM13.90). All the desserts did not disappoint.

The bitter sweet taste of espresso and ice-cream warmed me to my core while...


...Unlike the many many disappointing Tiramisu I have tried in the past, Epicuro's Tiramisu was good with the light sweet cream atop and sponge cakes soaked with alcohol and chilled.


The brownies were perfection and the right way a brownie should be (in my opinion). Whist crunchy on the outside, it was moist and soft on the inside. Topped with roasted nuts, the warm brownies goes oh so well with the homemade dulce de leche ice-cream drizzled with butterscotch drizzle. This dessert was to put it quite simply, an orgasm in my mouth.   



To wash everything down, I also ordered their Vanilla Chai Latte which was mild on the spices and more on the creamy side most likely due to the added vanilla flavour. I usually prefer my Chai Latte with more spice.


I enjoyed Epicuro for their main dishes and desserts. Service was on the slow side during my visit on a Sunday afternoon but I chalked that up to having a near full house and one guy running around taking orders and serving them. On my next visit (yes, there will be a next visit...and another and another...) I got my eye and appetite for their Carbonara which I heard was quite good as well.

Epicuro 

Address: 20 Jalan SS 21/35, Damansara Utama, 47400 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Tel: 03-7733 3110
Hours: 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m. (closes on Monday) 

No comments: